If you are looking to build your career with a fast-growing professional services firm with upside potential both in responsibility and compensation, we’re looking for you!
Locust Walk helps build life science companies through transformative transactions. We’re an advisory firm with offices in Boston, San Francisco, Japan, Germany and Korea with clients throughout the world. We are company builders with operating experience; we’re global with a local physical presence; and we have a team oriented culture.
We currently have the following full-time positions open:
- Associate BioPharma, Location: Boston
Hires are based upon a candidate’s fit with our firm’s culture and needs in either our strategic transaction practice or financing practice. We welcome qualified candidates with a wide range of backgrounds and previous experience to apply.
To view full description of open positions, please see below under Current Opportunities section. If you are interested in any of the above positions, please send your statement of interest, a CV and your contact information to Sara Fried, Director of HR at firstname.lastname@example.org
Position- Associate BioPharma, Boston
LOCUST WALK IS LOOKING FOR AN EXPERIENCED AND DYNAMIC ASSOCIATE TO JOIN OUR BIOPHARMA TEAM
Our biopharma team specializes in working with emerging and growth companies to execute transformative transactions whether they be strategic licensing, acquisition, or fundraising. We are growing rapidly and to help us with this growth, we are adding an associate to our Boston office that will play a leading role in client engagements and materially support our practice development activities.
The role is like working as a business or corporate development professional in a biopharma company, but you get the opportunity to work with multiple clients simultaneously on both the strategy and execution of transaction assignments, providing a more dynamic environment, richer experience and opportunity to grow professionally.
A week in the life for this role
The focus for the associate is to play a key role in leading firm’s engagements and to participate in practice development activities. Our engagements range from business development, M&A transactions and financings to strategic consulting and commercial assessments. Our associates work with a VP and analyst to drive execution and closing of transformational deals. The associate is responsible for leading execution and overseeing deliverables and analysis generated by analysts, identifying and managing discussions with target partners, and supporting deal negotiations and closing. They conduct outreach to potential partners and play an active role in generating interest in and concluding a deal. The associate is often tasked with managing all aspects of the day-to-day execution of a client engagement, including leading update calls with the client and overseeing all aspects of the analyst’s work. Practice development activities, including participation at conferences and networking events and building relationships with industry peers and prospective clients, are essential to furthering our growth. An associate will help with pitch materials and prepare thought pieces for our marketing materials. Our senior team deal is dedicated to the professional growth of our associates. Each engagement provides a new learning opportunity
What is our culture?
We have a high-performance culture that rewards creative solutions to daily challenges. Locust Walk offers a good work-life balance within the context of a transaction focused professional services firm. We are all in the office during business hours daily unless traveling but also value our family and friends making our time with them a priority. Deal team professionals travel 10-20%, depending on client needs and industry events. We have weekly happy hours as a team called Locust Walk Café and occasional outings like F1 racing and kayaking. All our team members enjoy the ride!
Key career background and experience for this position
- This person needs to live the Locust Walk values. We’re looking for a high-integrity individual who is committed to the success of others and is open and courageous in their communications. A poised professional who is creative with an entrepreneurial spirit. He/she must have a positive attitude and enjoy the ride.
- Experience in the professional services industry. We operate in a similar environment to investment banks and management consulting firms. Experience in these areas will provide you with an understanding of how we operate, best practices, and learnings you can contribute to our organization. While not a requirement, such experience is helpful. The candidate must be able to demonstrate the following set of skills
- Strong track record of executing strategic and/or financing engagements
- Solid understanding of financial modelling, including full P&L and DCF models
- Strong communication skills and comfort presenting in front of company management, Board, and speaking directly with physicians and other key opinion leaders
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Either a proven track record of working with and managing teams or relevant leadership skills that demonstrate an ability to do so successfully
- Operating experience. One of Locust Walk’s key selling points is our company building mentality based on our significant operating experience. Work inside a biopharma company, while not required, is a plus for this role and for advancement in the firm.
- Professional and Academic Prowess. All our team members have different strengths that contribute to the success of our firm. The background for this Associate position would ideally illustrate the following attributes:
- Passion for biopharma transactions: 3 – 5 years of relevant industry experience
- Successful track record working on transactions in the biopharma space: working directly or in a supportive role to close strategic transactions, M&A and/or financings
- First-rate education: strong academic track record; MBA from top tier institution preferred; an advanced degree in life sciences is also a plus
Prior positions of responsibility that might be good experience for this role?
Any of the backgrounds below might have generated the experience required to be successful in this role. However, this does not mean that if you haven’t worked for this type of team, you’re not qualified. Read between the lines, for intent and not literally:
- Director of Business / Corporate Development in a life science company
- Associate in biopharma healthcare group of investment bank
- Engagement manager in life science-focused Strategic/Management Consulting firm
How much could someone earn in this role?
Our firm has a multi-part compensation structure:
- Competitive base salary based on experience
- Every person at Locust Walk has goals and will receive a bonus based on exceptional individual, business unit and firm performance that encourages both accountability as well as team work
- We pay 80% of the health insurance premiums for all employees and offer dental
- We contribute (not a match) 3% of each employee’s base salary into a 401k.
Please email Sara Fried, Director of HR, email@example.com with your resume and a statement of interest with reference – Locust Walk Associate Boston or San Francisco.
Apply on LinkedIn
DON’T SEE AN OPEN POSITION THAT SPEAKS TO YOU?
We’re always happy to make a new acquaintance. Please email your resume, CV and contact information to Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org. When a relevant opportunity opens up, we’ll be ready!