Strategic Partnering and M&A Transactions
ABOUT STRATEGIC TRANSACTIONS
The Strategic Transactions group at Locust Walk drives both licensing and acquisition deals with the right partners on a global basis across North America, Europe, Japan and China.
Strategic Transactions Capabilities
- We strategically position assets and companies for strategic transactions with upfront work before making the first outreach call.
- We often begin with a corporate or portfolio strategy initiative from our Strategy and Analytics team to ensure there is alignment around the client’s objectives.
- We also engage our S&A team ahead of execution on commercial assessments to quantify the market potential of the competitive landscape on a global or regional basis and on partner planning to qualify the right partners, the right deal structures and the right approach to maximize success for a process
- We execute comprehensive global or regional strategic process from outreach through deal closure.
- Typical timelines include about 1 to 3 months of upfront preparation and 6 to 9 months for deal execution.
- We often begin with a corporate or portfolio strategy initiative from our Strategy and Analytics team to ensure sufficient thought has been given to a client’s growth strategy.
- We continue with a global asset screen to identify the most promising potential licensing and acquisition targets.
- We can execute blinded transactability to determine if a deal is doable and, if so, under what conditions.
- We integrate into parallel-tracked deal execution with positioning the client as a buyer of choice, company and product commercial due diligence, valuation modeling leading to a term sheet, and deal structuring and negotiations towards a rapid deal closure.
How We’re Different
At Locust Walk, we’re an integrated global capital markets team that partners with management to raise capital for companies which requires flawless coordination and execution. For private companies, raising funds and advising on their path to the public markets is our core focus and not a favor or afterthought. For public companies, our ability to source additional investors and tell your story effectively requires a team that understands positioning and active dialog with the broader investment community. We’re selective in who we work with and devote significant resources into each financing, not a volume-based model. Lastly, we’re unencumbered by internal politics and procedures to source capital from all qualified investors on a global basis. Lastly, we can pivot during a financing process and pull in other Locust Walk groups—across capabilities, geographies, or specific therapeutic expertise—to enhance the chances in successfully executing a deal—and getting the right deal done is what matters most.